Re: Some questions

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 03:41:04PM +0100, Thomas H?hn wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm thinking about running a mixminion node.
>
> There are a few questions:
>
> 1. Is there a kind of "generic" delivery mechanism, that just outputs the
> message as it is decrypted by the last node in the chain and either saves
> it to a file or (better) feeds it to a process (like INNs channel
> feeds)?

Not yet.

> If not, do you intend to implement something like this?

Eventually, but development is very slow right now.  Writing a patch
would be very useful, if somebody could.

The TODO entry is:

                - Maildir-style exit module to help integrators.
                        - Implement MH/Maildir modes
                        - Text/binary modes
                        - With/without decoding handle
                        - Attach to any type.

Of course, if whoever implements it thinks that an INN-style
implementation would be better than a maildir-style implementation,
their judgment prevails.

You can fake it now by specifying a SendmailCommand option in your
Delivery/SMTP section instead of specifying a SMTP host.  This will be
a bit inefficient (the command will be forked every time a message
needs to be sent) but it might be good enough.

This feature isn't very tested. If it breaks, let me know.

 [...]
> 2. I've installed Mixminion 0.0.8alpha2.
>
> What do I do next? Publish the server to the directory? Or are there any
> recommended testing procedures?

See step 5 of "HOW TO RUN YOUR OWN MIXMINION SERVER" in the README.

> Probably I just want it to be a middleman for the time being. That means
> disabling mbox and SMTP delivery, right?

Right.

> 3. Might sound stupid, but at first I made a mistake when setting
> MaxBandwidthSpike, because I just assumed Mixminion to follow Tor's
> token-bucket-model.
> Is there a reason for using one over the other (that is specifying a bucket
> in byte vs. specifying a maximum bandwidth in byte/s)?

Not AFAIK.

yrs,
--
Nick Mathewson