Re: README file for Mac OS X package

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 05:36:00PM -0800, Hideki Saito wrote:

Thanks!  I've just make a scripted package building system based on
the packaging files from Hideki Saito.  Could people please let me
know whether the packages and the build system are correct?

I converted the PackageMaker files to plist files by hand, so there
are probably some mistakes.  I'll try to double-check everything as
soon as I can, but others should check as well.

The DMG is at:
     http://wangafu.net/~nickm/Tor 0.0.9.1 Bundle.dmg

The modified codebase is at:
     http://wangafu.net/~nickm/tor-0.0.9.1-osx.tar.gz

(Right now, it's only in the maintenance CVS branch; I'll forward-port
it to the development branch once it's more solid.)

To generate a bundle, type "make dist-osx".  All of the files that
generate the bundle are in contrib/osx/ .  The hard work is done by
the script contrib/osx/package.sh .  You may need ps2pdf to convert
the man pages to pdf format.

Issues with startup script: we should probably also add a preinstall
script to create a _tor user, and have the tor process run as _tor, to
avoid the dangers of running as root/nobody/whatever.

Issues with installer: we need a better readme, better documentation,
etc.  But now it's in CVS now, so you can send patches.

Many thanks to everyone who's been working on this installer.

Yours,
--
Nick Mathewson