Re: [tor-relays] Setting up AWS cloud-relay - don't reserve expensive storage!

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 7:29 PM, Nick Sheppard <nshep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 08/12/13 18:54, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Nick Sheppard <nshep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>

>> Hi Nick,
>>
>>> At the end of the month I got a bill for 120 dollars. And Amazon were
>>> quite
>>> right - they were charging me for the 1024 GB of storage I had
>>> accidentally
>>> asked for by not changing the default when I set up the instance.  The
>>> first
>>> 30 GB were free, the other 994 I was paying for. And I was only actually
>>> using 1.5 GB ...
>>

>> I just went through the setup process for a Tor Cloud instance in
>> us-east-1 (Virginia) without finding the 1024 GB of storage you say is
>> the new default value. Under "Storage" on the "Review Instance
>> Launch"-page, I see storage is set to 4 GB. Could you please go
>> through the setup process again and see if you can figure out where
>> this value was set?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> Interesting ... I was using eu-west-1 (Ireland).  And comparing the two, I
> see that us-east-1 does indeed have 4 exactly where eu-west-1 has 1024.

Looks like you're right; the default value for storage when selecting
an eu-west-1 instance is 1024 GB. Seems like this is also the case for
us-west-1, us-west-2, ap-northeast-1, ap-southeast-1, sa-east-1,
ap-southeast-2.

I wonder why that is?

> It had never occurred to me that the setup defaults might be different.  I
> wonder if the usage limits and charges might be different too?  I'll
> investigate.

I know the charges are different across the various regions. The
cheapest location has always been us-east-1 (Virginia).

--
Runa A. Sandvik