Re: [tor-relays] Setting up AWS cloud-relay - don't reserve expensive storage!

On 08/12/13 23:22, Runa A. Sandvik wrote:
On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Nick Sheppard <nshep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/12/13 19:02, Nick wrote:

Quoth Roger Dingledine:

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 04:00:06PM +0000, Nick Sheppard wrote:

At the end of the month I got a bill for 120 dollars. And Amazon
were quite right - they were charging me for the 1024 GB of storage
I had accidentally asked for by not changing the default when I set
up the instance.  The first 30 GB were free, the other 994 I was
paying for. And I was only actually using 1.5 GB ...

*Storage*? As in, disk space? Surely you mean bandwidth, but you
seem quite clearly to mean disk space, so I'm confused.

Sounds to me like Amazon decided the instance should be given 1024GB
of disk space by default, regardless of the fact that it (obviously)
remained completely unused.

Nick, if Amazon were a reasonable company that certainly ought to be
the sort of thing you could say "I didn't realise, it was
misleading, and I didn't use the offered space, please refund me".
However given their love of automation and robotic offerings I
suspect such pleas would be ignored.

Nice idea, but I don't think I'd have a case.  The 1024 GB is there on the
setup screen (at least it is for eu-west-1), there were many ways I could
have seen how much unused storage I had, I could have checked my bill more
often, I could easily have set up an email alert for when the bill passed a
set threshold ...

@AWSSupport replied to my tweet saying they have reached out to you
via the AWS Support Center at https://aws.amazon.com/support.

... and not only did they reach out to me, they immediately gave me a full refund. So a big thank-you to Runa for your very effective tweet! :) :) :) Perhaps this will persuade Roger Dingledine that the folks at AWS love kittens and rainbows as much as we do ...

However (for there is a "however") I'm now even more puzzled by the default settings. Mickey N at AWS replied that:

"It's my understanding that when a Linux/RHEL instances are launched, the default amount of EBS storage in every region is set to 6GB. ... I've attached a screenshot of the Management Console page where the default 6GB is displayed."

And the 6 is in exactly the same place where we see 4 (on us-east-1) and 1024 elsewhere. I've pointed this out to AWS. I have no idea what's happening here.

All the best, and thanks again Runa and AWS,

Nick Sheppard