Re: Weird behavior of my server

@Michael:

I believe so, I always run it with sudo (for some unknown reason, I
can't logon with the root user in this VMWare Ubuntu). I did change
the config file to bind the orport to 443.

@Alex:
Thanks, I thought the log only logs what it showed me before (the
single line). ;)
Here's what the log says, that might be the issue:
"Could not bind to port 443: Permission denied
[err] options_act(): Failed to bind one of the listeners ports."

Well, after all, I don't have that much clue yet about Linux user
rights. I try starting the server with "sudo", from what I learned
today, that should give me all the necessary admin (?) rights to run a
program. So what is the mistake?

Sincerely,
Landorin

Alex Bihlmaier schrieb:
> Landorin wrote:
>
>> Apr 27 12:25:49.739 [notice] Tor v0.1.0.17. This is experimental
>> software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
>>
>> But that's the only line I get. if I stop the server it claims the
>> process isn't running.
>
> Check the logfiles under /var/log for a hint.
> /var/log/daemon && /var/log/syslog
>
>> If I put a comment symbol (#) before the "Address" parameter it gives
>> me the error message that adress "ubuntu" is pointing to the localhost
>> IP and can't be used. However, if I remove the # and put in my public
>> IP adress behind "address" or the dynamic DNS adress it just gives me
>> the single line and doesn't start the server.
>
> If you are on a dialup internet connection with non-fixed ip adress,
> read this:
> http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#head-f33983e543696b938339a98aa16562849d1d207a
>

> hth
>  thal

- --
Accelerate cancer research with your PC:
http://www.chem.ox.ac.uk/curecancer.html

GPG key ID: 4096R/E9FD5518