[tor-talk] Family path selection

Hi,

Quote from the path-specification (2.2)
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/path-spec.txt

"We do not choose any router in the same family as another in the same
path."

Made me think that if one declares family for the entire network except
his/her own nodes he would see the full path. At least he/she would be
in an excellent position for end-to-end correlation, provided his/her
nodes got the Guard and Exit flag(s).

Quote from dir-specification (2.1)
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/dir-spec.txt

""family" [...]
If two ORs list one another in their "family" entries, then OPs should
treat them as a single OR for the purpose of path selection.

For example, if node A's descriptor contains "family B", and node B's
descriptor contains "family A", then node A and node B should never be
used on the same circuit."

Seems to explain it better; like I would expect it to work. Only if two
relays declare family with each other they will be excluded from being
in the same path.

I hope that my understanding is correct. Please tell me if it is NOT.
(Thank you in advance)

Would it make sense to clarify it in the path-specification?

I mean I assumed it would work in the way that "A" AND "B" declare
family with each other and if they do they get excluded form the same
path, rather than just "A" declaring family with "B" leading to the same
result. I looked into the path-specification, but didn't get
enlightened. A, for me, understandable explanation was "hidden" in the
dir-specification as I didn't expect to find something about families in it.

It could be just me since I'm not a native speaker. For a native speaker
it might be most likely clear that "same family" implies both relays
agreeing on that, while for me it can say that, but doesn't have to.

Best regards,
Sebastian G. (bastik_tor)

(Got longer than intended)