Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Roger Dingledine <arma@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 08:51:32PM +0200, Guido Witmond wrote:
> > However, given the nature of onion sites, I don't know how the police
> > investigators could track and take down the source without defeating the
> > anonymity of Tor.
>
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-September/021198.html
>
> https://www.bof.nl/2012/10/18/dutch-proposal-to-search-and-destroy-foreign-computers/
>
> > Perhaps the authorities already do and leave *us* in the dark. :-)
>
> The problem, as explained to me by several Dutch policemen, is that
> taking down a few individual sites doesn't actually work. That is,
> it doesn't reduce the number of criminals (or crimes) in the world.
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/trip-report-tor-trainings-dutch-and-belgian-police
> These are social problems, and as such aren't really amenable to technical
> solutions -- you quickly get to the "well, then let's ban cameras" step.
> And at that point it doesn't make much sense to have a thread about it on
> tor-talk either.
>
> --Roger

Directly pursuant to this, and to my original note: What about a simpler
solution?

What about simply scouring all the directories, removing links to the pedo
sites?

Can you stamp them out? No, but can you make it VERY unlikely / difficult
to simply stumble upon them while investigating Tor-space? Yes you can!

And by doing so, you create an environment where people, taking advantage
of the incredibly awesome work folks have done with OnionBrowser, who
aren't necessarily Tor savvy can get a sense for what the system can do and
come away with a positive impression.

-Chris
--
Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@xxxxxxxxx | AIM: