Re: [tor-talk] Tor's reputation problem with pedo, some easy steps the community could take

Agreed, but understand - I'm not suggesting that *the Tor project* itself
cull this content, merely that directory / wiki operators make a concerted
effort to at least clearly label the pedo dens so they can be easily
avoided by those of us who have a real issue with them.

-Chris

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 3:49 PM, Anthony Papillion <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On 04/29/2013 02:30 PM, Chris Patti wrote:
> >
> > Directly pursuant to this, and to my original note: What about a simpler
> > solution?
> >
> > What about simply scouring all the directories, removing links to the
> pedo
> > sites?
>
> This would be a public relations nightmare for the project and a very
> bad idea. People use Tor to *avoid* censorship. Imagine the horrible
> press we'd get if the project actually *started* censoring content. Plus
> you get to the issue of "where does it stop"? Once you start censoring
> objectionable or illegal content, what criteria do you use to determine
> which content fits?
>
> > And by doing so, you create an environment where people, taking advantage
> > of the incredibly awesome work folks have done with OnionBrowser, who
> > aren't necessarily Tor savvy can get a sense for what the system can do
> and
> > come away with a positive impression.
>
> No. By doing so you create an environment where people don't trust Tor
> any more than they do the open Internet. Some people already claim that
> the Tor project is some super secret honeypot run by the US government.
> Start censoring content and you'll hear that whine escalate to a howl
> pretty quickly.
>
> Anthony

Christopher Patti - Geek At Large | GTalk: cpatti@xxxxxxxxx | AIM:
chrisfeohpatti | P: (260) 54PATTI
"Technology challenges art, art inspires technology." - John Lasseter,
Pixar