Re: polipo-tor deb/ubuntu native package

Hi,

travis+ml-tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote (17 Jan 2011 20:21:56 GMT) :
> So, now I've brought the level of effort down to one minute or less,
> and the level of thought down to something you can do while drunk
> and sleep-deprived, since there's no decisions required.

Thank you. This is much appreciated.

> So how do I make people aware of the option?

In my humble opinion your package shall be pushed to Debian and Ubuntu
(or at least to deb.torproject.org) before user awareness is the top
priority. Rationale: I'm not a fan of recommending users to install
.deb from any random online repository (no offense intended); trusting
a given APT source almost equals trusting this repository's admins and
package maintainers to be root on your system.

I don't think pushing this package to Debian and Ubuntu is that hard
and I suggest the following process:

0. If not done yet, compare the default polipo configuration you are
   shipping with the Tor Browser Bundle's and T(A)ILS' ones, just to
   make sure no privacy/anonymity-related option was missed.
1. Make sure your package is in good enough shape so that it can be
   included in Debian (=> Debian users can use it as well, and Ubuntu
   will fetch it from there in a few months). I mean checking the
   Debian Policy compliance, making sure it is Lintian-clean, etc.
2. Fill a Request For Package (RFP) bug in the Debian BTS [0] so that
   any Tor-friendly Debian developer is aware of your work and can
   decide to upload your package into Debian.
3. Mention the RFP bug on the Debian bug that tracks the polipo vs.
   torbutton port mismatch [1], and reciprocally.
4. Wait for the package to be uploaded into Debian.
5. Wait for the package to be fetched from Debian by Ubuntu.

Note that one does not need to be an official Debian developer to
maintain packages in Debian. Such a formal status is only needed to
upload, so you can go on maintaining this package and work hand in
hand with a Debian developer that will advise you if needed, check
your packages and push it to the Debian archive (... => Ubuntu
archive).

[0] http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

Bye,
--