Re: [tor-talk] Postfix + Tor (Was: remailers)

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 23:52, cmeclax-sazri
<cmeclax-sazri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I cloned the git repo and looked at it. There's no CMakeLists.txt or
> configure, just a makefile which I'm apparently supposed to edit.
> cables/init/cabled is a /sbin/runscript script. None of my computers has a
> program called runscript. I'm guessing this is a Gentoo program?

Installation is documented at
https://github.com/mkdesu/cables/wiki/deployment. The init script is
for Gentoo, yes — it needs to be adapted for each specific
distribution (this is mentioned in the documentation).

> Let's say that Alice and Bob want to send messages to each other. Alice is in
> Java, Bob is in Colombia, and they are online only in the evening. If I
> understand it right, Alice's Cables server tries to send directly to Bob's,
> so he never gets the message. Can Bob say "You can send my mail to Trent;
> he'll hold it till I'm online"?

No, non-direct routing is not supported by the protocol — Alice and
Bob will need to be online simultaneously at some point, when the
queued message will be delivered.

> Can you have multiple users on one Cables server?

Yes, this can be easily achieved by configuring Nginx, FCGI spawner,
and the cables daemon so that separate FCGI services / cables daemon
are used for each user (presumably executed under the relevant user
credentials). Having a single service / cables daemon access multiple
users' private keys and mailboxes is possible to implement, but
problematic from the security perspective.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)