Re: New Torbutton (1.1.4-alpha)

Thus spake Robert Hogan (robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> On Monday 09 July 2007 10:16:55 Mike Perry wrote:
> > Feedback, suggestions, and comments are welcome. Especially if someone
> > could point out what I'm doing wrong with the OpenSearch Google search
> > plugin installations (which are somewhat unrelated, but I figured were
> > worth putting up there, since a major usability complaint is "Why do I
> > get the damn German/Chinese/etc Google with Tor?").
>
> Stop me if this has been suggested before, but would it be worth introducing
> an unofficial URI for hidden services that would make them recognisable to
> the likes of torbutton? The idea being that the user could 'enable tor'
> simply by clicking on a hidden service link rather than the usual jig of
> click-servernotfound-back-scratchhead-enabletor-clickagain.
>
> Is this possible with a firefox plugin or would it be necessary to get the
> firefox developers on board?

Actually, this is possible a few different ways.. You can create your
own protocol handlers, but it might not be necessary. Torbutton
already listens to the LocationChange event.. It may be possible just
to look to see if the new location has a .onion/ in it, and enable tor
if so. But this probably should be pondered for a while.. Changing tor
state automatically makes me a little nervous, even if it is only in
the "Tor Enabled" direction..

And creating a new protocol prefix for onion sites seems a little
sketchy also.. All sorts of compatibility issues are probably hiding
in there (not just the obvious problem of adoption).

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist