Re: On the performance scalability of Tor

They can be issued concurrently. Tor doesn't care.

Indeed; I will see vidalia show a lot of connectings all at once,
followed by all switching to open at once (TCP streams inside a tor
circuit).

The overhead to open a new TCP HTTP connection through a tor circuit
seems to be very long. I know it has to be encrypted/decrypted at each
node, as well as originated at the exit to the destination, but I have
to wonder: Can this be sped up at all?

The discussion about fast nodes: Is there a way to tell the client,
"Only select fast nodes"? Does "fast" imply high throughput (but it
might be slow to start up), or fast startup/turn around?