Re: Building tracking system to nab Tor pedophiles

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 10:35:54PM -0500, Paul Syverson wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:53:08PM -0500, James Muir wrote:
> > >Heheh, well speaking of dreaming big, while both what you and Jason
> > >Edwards said are great goals to have, I think we shouldn't get
> > >distracted from "stopping the bleeding" now with a few sentences right
> > >up front while something more elaborate is devised (or a volunteer
> > >steps up).
> > >
> > >The problem is if it isn't right on the download page and translated
> > >into most languages, people will just assume they are good to go
> > >without bothering to read the FAQ until something breaks (as Jason
> > >pointed out). I also fall into this category with most software (even
> > >stuff I develop for ;).
> >
> > Hear, hear!
> >

> Yes. Three cheers. I think this is a fine interim thing to do.  Maybe
> I'm overly sold on install wizards but I think a step in the install
> that says something about not being secure against responding web
> sites by default and a pointer to a couple of things to do before
> continuing is probably going to catch more people than anything on the
> download page. Of course there will still be some (most?) people who
> will just say "yeah, whatever" and click continue. But this is an
> interim idea. (Now someone has to write installers in every
> language. Perhaps _that_ could be added to the volunteer page.
> In the interim interim, something on the download page will get
> caught be our volunteer translators sooner than anything I said
> above).

Now that we all agree, could somebody draft the statement as a patch for
the download page source at
   http://tor.eff.org/svn/website/en/download.wml  ?

Who will be first to get their patch to tor-webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?
Whose patch will be best?  Only you can decide! ;)

peace,
--
Nick Mathewson