controller GETINFO ns/id/fingerprint "s" record

What is the criteria for getting listed as an "Exit" node in the "s" record for the controller interface's GETINFO /ns/id/fingerprint?

I recently added accept *:443 to my ExitPolicy setting in torrc but it is not listed as an Exit node, and am wondering why not.  The new ExitPolicy setting does show correctly in the GETINFO /desc/id/fingerprint data.

Also, where does the data originate from when the controller GETINFO command is used?  Does it just grab data out of the cached* files on disk?  Or poll one of the directory authorities?  Or something else?

Wesley