Re: [tor-talk] More and more websites block Tor, which will eventually become useless!

On 11/10/2013 2:12 PM, Akater wrote:
Actually I wonder why tor users seem to be convinced it's a bad idea.... Am I missing something?
Yes, from what I've seen reported several times on this list, you're missing that even being approached or brought in for "questioning" by LEAs, threatened by lawyers - can be extremely stressful & potentially expensive. A good many don't want to risk something like that. Most people I know have quite enough problems w/o taking the *chance* that something like that happens.

If... it happens to you, can be all consuming for a time. Go back & read some tales of that were dragged to the police station, had their computers seized, threatened w/ serious charges - on & on. They were genuinely scared & probably rightly so - even if in the end, there is no jail time or large loss of monies. I would be.

Some spouses couldn't / wouldn't stand for that kind of stress, more than once. Some employers might "find a way" to dismiss workers, if they found out an employee is being investigated. People are fired everyday for far less. Yes, the employers often cite other reasons. In lots of places & lot of states (in U.S.), they don't NEED a reason to fire ("let go; lay off") workers.

If thousands ran exit nodes - could LEAs / lawyers "get" them all or make all their lives miserable, for a time? Probably not. But the crocodile doesn't have to catch all the antelope to strike fear into the rest of them. That's how terrorists operate - making an example of a few & striking fear into thousands, millions. Why use that analogy to describe actions of the powers that be - in many situations? If the reason has to be spelled out...