Re: [tor-talk] "Hidden Services" vs "Onion services"

On 15 Nov 2014, at 19:05, Philipp Winter <phw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 02:08:49PM -0300, hellekin wrote:
>> I use "onionspace" regularly, and find "onion service" and "onion site"
>> equally attractive.  Just wanted to remind you that not all onion
>> services are websites.
> The term "onion service" could supersede "hidden service" and an "onion
> site" could simply be a web server set up as onion service.

In other words, facebookcorewwwi.onion is an onion service, but it’s not terribly hidden.

Private is always a nice word.  I don’t think the “onion services” which are not so “hidden” would mind being called “private”.  It’s worth worrying about whether it’s too strong a word though obviously, especially if the server is some public facing site like twitter, facebook, etc.  Location hidden service is actually pretty good descriptor here in that hidden is less forceful than private.

I suppose you could always call them freedom services if you’re worried about raising funding from the U.S., maybe the moment for that has passed though.  ;)

Jeff

p.s.  Robert Soare renamed the field of recursion theory to computability theory when the NSF turned down his grant one year.  Recursion theory, now computability theory, is the branch of mathematical logic around topics like Godel incompleteness and Turing degrees, meaning they study differences in how impossible it is to compute things, not anything that’s actually computable.