Re: [tor-talk] Will Hidden Service Be Removed?

> Personally I don't really like them. I think using hidden service as an
> IP address for peer to peer (like torchat) is a risk factor although I
> don't know enough to know for sure.

You think. Not saying it's perfect and security should not be increased,
but no one was ever exposed due to a Tor failure.

> (Maybe the already in place guards
> fix that?). But I also think all the content in a hidden service are not
> beneficial to anyone. Wikileaks may have been one but it looks like they
> have no problems getting hosting/a domain and staying online

1. wikileaks has a lot more financial resources
2. wikileaks has a lot supporters
3. look how some people ended up supporting them

They are constantly in press. Not everyone wants this.

In a lot professions its impossible to host a controversial website. Say
you are a physician, attorney, public servant, officer, just to name a few
examples... And then you want stand up for "more rights for transvestites"
or anything like that. You can't do that, otherwise you loose your daytime
job.

> Is there a real reason why the or project can't just disable hidden
> services? IMO no positive exists as the content can be served on
> clearnet (once again wikileaks is fine and that is a big deal). Hidden
> services is just carrying negatives.

The reason many stuff does not get deleted on clearnet is that there ARE
places where it can not be deleted and because those places go viral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

> I guess my question is will it be removed and if not can I assume it
> will always exist and also why will it not be removed?

I never saw plans to remove it.

> FYI I only made one anonymous app. No one uses it (although its because
> no one runs a server) and its fully legal and only requires users to
> access it via tor. No hidden services required.

Which?