[tor-talk] Emulating a VPN service with Tor

I'd like to reduce the hop count of both client and onion
(perhaps to an rp) in order to speed up SSH access.
I own both ends and it's not public, so I don't need the
full 7 hops. I could go with four (client entry mid entry hs),
or even down to two (client mid hs). Essentially your own
'offshore' VPN service. It's just to keep casual snoopers
away, like the boss/HR and the colo/home ISP.

Recompiling the hopcount flag is no problem. But is it
what I want? And is there a general torrc way, even if
I have to pick the path manually?
How can I do this? For the four and two hop versions?