[tor-talk] Hardware openness, Lemote Yeeloong

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 23:43:04 +0200
Eugen Leitl <eugen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Eventually, we will have completely open hardware we can trust.
> But that day is not here yet. Meanwhile, let's minimize the amount
> of evil in the system.

One can get the Lemote Yeeloong netbook (that Richard Stallman also uses),
8.9" version of it is now discounted to 188 EUR [1]. Its specs are arguably
oudated and the performance can be considered lacking especially on the
GUI/video front.

It's not "completely open hardware", i.e. blueprints for CPU and other
circuitry may not be available; but it requires no single binary blob to fully
work, including things like the built-in wifi. And with this having a
Chinese-designed domestic CPU you can certainly feel safe from any CPU-level
*NSA* backdoors at least. :)

[1]
http://www.tekmote.nl/epages/61504599.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61504599/Products/CFL-004-2

--