Re: [tor-talk] best distro to use Tor

On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 10:27 +0000, adrelanos wrote:
> krishna e bera:
> >>
> >> Ditch Ubuntu:
> >> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/10/privacy-ubuntu-1210-amazon-ads-and-data-leaks
> >
> > Those problems are in the bloated default desktop called Unity or ONE,
> > perhaps meant as Canonical's answer to Windows 8.
> > There are plenty other desktop interfaces to use: lxde, flux, cinnamon,
> > xfce, ratpoison, ...
>
> Isn't such behavior by Canonical reason to no longer trust them or at
> least to see, that they're not at all interested in privacy? If that
> follows form their their behavior, why use Ubuntu?
>
> We don't have very secure/trustworthy/etc. operating systems yet. I
> mean, there are great distributions doing a great job, offering an
> awesome product, free as in freedom and I enjoy using them. But security
> is still in its infancy. Deterministic builds are far away, there is no
> way to proof vulnerability-freeness, most/much used programming
> languages (C and C++) are "difficult to write safe code" (just quoting),
> easy to open up vulnerabilities by mistake and possible to hide subtle
> backdoors hidden in plain source code as vulnerability.
>
> The most sensible thing in this losing battle is to necessarily trust
> distributions over time due to their reputation and assuming they're in
> for the right reasons. For Canonical, I think it's safe to say, they're
> not sharing a compatible mindset.

Agreed.

It's hard to recommend one sole GNU/Linux distro - nobody can actually
know all of them and it's bound to bring flame wars -, but the safest
path is to look at it's community, the principles behind the gathering,
its size and longevity and the willingness of its users to contribute
back.

But if your question is really "which is best for Tor", tor-devs are
sourcing .deb and .rpm packages, so support is probably better if you
run debian, rhel or one of its many derivatives.

--
Do not forget that we are cattle on an animal farm which is managed and
handled mostly by machines. Machines do what they are/were told to. What

GPG: 0x48BE63E6