Re: [tor-talk] How does Tor help abuse victims?

On 10/7/14, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/06/2014 04:43 PM, garyr22@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> The reason people find problems with Tor is because the importance of
>> privacy is hidden in a mystery. Most people don't understand the
>> reason Tor exist so, how can they judge it? The problem is that it's
>> easier to focus on evil than it is to focus on good. The good Tor
>> offers is much weightier than the bad. The good is harder to see
>> because it's not as tangible as the bad. For those that understand
>> the details behind the importance of privacy, the good is much
>> weightier than the bad. This is just a matter of truly understanding
>> the problem Tor was designed to handle. Can the people finding
>> problems with Tor correctly describe problem Tor was designed to
>> handle?
>
> Some of them understand all too well, I think. What they actually oppose
> are freedom and the right to privacy. The "evil users" that they focus
> on are just strawmen. They embody the "problem [that] Tor was designed
> to handle".

For those opposed to the right to privacy, privacy -is- the problem.

There are (gasp) those who would give up liberty (or rather, have
others give up their liberty), in order to (attempt to, but ultimately
fail to) control so-called liberty abusers.

'Give up freedom for safety, and you will lose both' as the saying goes.

Applicable regardless of the right chosen to discuss/think about:
speech/ expression, movement/travel, learning/reading, defence/bearing
arms, etc etc.

Zenaan

--
Banned for life from Debian, for suggesting Debian's CoC
is being swung in our faces a little too vigorously.