Re: [tor-talk] Misogyny on tor-talk is an existential threat to Tor

On 9/16/14, Griffin Boyce <griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As some of the list knows, my introduction to Tor was while working on a
> peer counseling project that primarily served women. Even now, the *vast*
> majority of people that I teach about online privacy and security are women
> in very high-risk situations -- frequently involving stalking, domestic
> violence, and serious medical issues. This is the case for lots of people
> who work with Tor. Karen, Kelley, and Andrew all work directly with
> survivors of domestic violence to help them stay safe. I wouldn't be able to
> help the types of people that I help if Tor were not so usable.
>
> Most people on tor-talk don't necessarily care to hear
> about these topics (or do they?)

Those who matter do. A well written article or two on such things
would undoubtedly be useful on occasion to point to, and in this
(type of) thread in particular, it seems to me that referring to such
an article early on may be about the most effect response to the
initial post possible.

> but we're all out there fighting the good fight. Our work just
> isn't salacious enough to merit a poorly-written gossip column.
>
> ~ Griffin

Thank you so much for the awesome work. I'm looking forward to
the well written editorial :)

As to privacy 'for the rest of us' - "you don't have to be doing anything
wrong to want your privacy" - admittedly an 'expectation' of privacy
may be unreasonable in the face of an angry jerk, but that in no way
takes away from our 'right' to privacy.

It is a sad state of humans where 'average humans' violate the
privacy of others - it's bad enough that three letter agencies/
governments work so diligently to violate our privacy.

Regards,
Zenaan

--
Banned for life from Debian, for suggesting Debian's CoC
is being swung in our faces a little too vigorously.