[pygame] sprite backgrounds saving as white

so my sprites are coming up on screen with a white background. I
loaded the sprites in my drawing program (paint.net) and removed the
white so that the only pixels are the character itself. However when I
save to .bmp format the white background comes back!

A problem because I'm using various colors in the game background.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong? I don't think it's a pygame
problem per se, but I figured somebody here might know the answer.

thanks!

--
A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write,
if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself.