[school-core] Re: Your group needs a representative for Schoolforge

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 09:49:12PM +0700, David Bucknell wrote:

 > than 100 international organizations involved. We don't
control what they do,
 > but we try to keep each other informed. That's why belonging
to the
 > schoolforge-disucss list is important for you and your
members. Meanwhile, I

just to clarify, here: we don't strictly speaking have members on
linux.edu.

_anyone_ can create a project, group or identity on linux.edu.

whether that project group or person actually can _do_ anything
(e.g. is given permissions to have its own mailing list)
is entirely up to the _other_ users of the site, who are approved
and in turn approved and in turn approved, all the way back
up to the co-founders (the Core) of the site, one of whom is me.

permissions / moderation / approval is controlled by something
called "trust metrics", you may have heard of a phrase "web of
trust"?

so as you might imagine, when i say i do not speak for our members,
i really _mean_ it: i have _no_ real authority over the projects
and groups on the site.

the only real authority i have is to delegate responsibility
of trust, or to remove that responsibility if i feel that the
people i have delegated to are violating the charter of our site.

i've written at length already, i'll shut up now :)

l.