Fwd: RE: [school-core] Schoolforge Locals/Conference

Dear Sean,
Quoting Sean Fredrick Keane <laugh@sean.keane.name>:

> Um, I live on long island in new york, I have no idea who else around me
> is involved with the group, is there a way to start breaking regions up
> and building lists of people? This would be great in so many ways.  I
> love talking to people in person.

I _know_ that several members live in that area.
Jennifer?
Jeff?

> David, are you really in Thailand? I don't think anyone in the States
> will be traveling abroad for a while unless they really have to - war
> and all.  Where ARE people on this list from anyway?

I hope to hear from those in SE Asia or willing to visit.

> > Anyone interested in running a five day workshop in the following are
> invited to contact me:
>
> Okay, my current focus is on technology development for use in early
> childhood (k-3) classrooms.  I don't know if this is appropriate or not,
> but I would love to be involved with a conference/user group that
> branched into aspects other than straight GPL source code and
> traditional 'computer stuff' - which I think this group already does -
> for example, I am doing a lot of work with cheap digital media devices
> ($89 video camera - www.aiptek.com) and also constructing physical
> interfaces that are more developmentally appropriate (makeshift easel
> sized rear projection displays, customized keyboards) - all of the
> how-to's I will be sharing in an 'open source' way. That sounds kinda
> stupid, but anyway... I guess what I am saying is that I think it would
> be great to have a forum that was welcoming for more experimental
> educational technology - am I of wack here? I would just love to swap
> ideas on this sort of stuff with like minded people, or at least people
> that had a better understanding of what I am doing then the people I
> work with now.  I would love to present a work shop on this stuff.  I
> would also love to attend a workshop on writing educational technology
> grants...

Why not? You should have the core stuff and this new stuff, too.

> > local club with global resources. If nothing else, we might get a
> t-shirt design
>
> I used to do a lot of graphic design work, and I guess I actually have a
> degree in art - what did you have in mind for the shirt? I guess if you
> were a client I would ask something like : who will be wearing it? What
> sort of message are you trying to convey with it? Who's attention would
> you like to draw and/or keep when they see it? What does it need to
> actually say (names, url, etc)? how is it being made? One color
> screen/vinyl, two, three? Full color transfer?  Or a better question is,
> how much should it cost to produce, how many will be produced at once?
> Is there already a set logo, or would you like a new one?  Blah blah...

Hey, I have zero taste and lots of opinions about it. So,
audience: same as Schoolforge and those who might be interested in it.
Who's attention? Same as the above.
What should it say? Up to your creativity. I suggest the words "Schoolforge" and
"free" and "open" and ... I'm thinkin'. I'll keep thinkin' and suggest others do.

Let me say what I think is different about Schoolforge and maybe others will get
ideas of what the t-shirt should say: it brings together deep tech (non-trivial)
and deep education for the first time.

It's definitely true what Richard Stallman writes on gnu.org: you can defend
yourself in court, but you'd probably better not ... unless you really want to
get involved. Same for free software. Schoolforge is a chance -- no, an
invitation to get involved.

> Cool stuff though... you caught my attention with this message... I
> guess this is what I was hoping would happen - that I would actually end
> up being involved with a special user group or conference .  neat..
>
> sean
Great, Sean. Go for it! You'll be the model.

David

--

----- End forwarded message -----