Re: [school-discuss] Web-based School Administration

> > As far as databases go, we use SQL Server, and I am very happy with it.
Its
> > impressive to see 100k+ student districts and states running hundreds of
> > transactions per second.  At times we have managed to push SQL Server to
its
> > limits, and we have not been able to get that kind of output out of any
of
> > the open source databases.
>
> LOL! The whole idea is to lose MS servers, which AFAIK, are needed to run
> SQL server. Are these still running after the latest exploits of the
> current week?

We're pro-active with our service packs and don't use null passwords.  We
want to ditch SQL Server and win2k server, but currently we have no
enterprise database alternatives.  Hopefully we can work out some kind of
hardware deal with IBM and start running Linux + DB2.

> If you wanted to run this kind of thing with "hundreds of school
> districts", why not clusterize things, etc. Lots of alternative solutions,
> rather than the evil empire. In most cases, I would assume that a district
> level server running MySQL or PostgreSQL would easily handle the required
> I/O. (I run a couple of these).

I don't think I'd ever want to manage hundreds of instances of Sasi,
chancery or any other system, and I definitely wouldn't want multiple
systems within a district.  Handling all that would take a few extra FTE
tech people just to sit around and generate ascii import/export files and
maintain all the hardware.

Dave