Re: [school-discuss] Web-based School Administration...

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 01:23, David Frankson wrote:
> As far as databases go, we use SQL Server, and I am very happy with
> it.  Its impressive to see 100k+ student districts and states running
> hundreds of transactions per second.  At times we have managed to
> push SQL Server to its limits, and we have not been able to get that
> kind of output out of any of the open source databases.

I'm surprised that you haven't been able to get that out of PostgreSQL
or ibFirebird. MySQL, I could understand; it's fine for lots of simple
reads but anything complex or involving many writes and it all goes
wahoonie-shaped. Were you running through ODBC or direct? That makes
about a 50% performance difference in some circumstances.

Cheers; Leon