Re: [school-discuss] I think this is the "killer app"

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

Like Marilyn I worked at a small Texas school (a charter, not a school district). In practice, there were multiple "killer apps" then and they have since matured, with some new ones also available. What's still missing, IMO, is good friendly documentation or decent, graphic/video-based computer-based training for the myriad FLOSS apps available.

Having done this part way there must be a way to get it all together at  a knowledge-base clearing house like school forge, etc. Is the reason this hasn't already been done is the problem of scope?

WRT to certain "killer applications" that are actual software, there are many examples. I'll just mention three cases that have the largest reach in terms of utility and audience, server-side, multimedia & office.

The server side is also really critical, and we all know Linux does this well. The problem is how it's delivered. I settled for the Karoshi school package (now a full distro). Karoshi fully integrates Moodle front door, firewall, squid/Dans Gaurdian (plus room & user blocking), SAMBA / LDAP domain (they used to use yp), LTSP, shared media library, e-mail, mandatory vs. full roaming profiles (windows) & a GUI & web-based easy admin screen set (done in shell script) & I forget what else. The only thing missing was/is VPN / remote desktop, but either iTalc, VPNish versions of VNC or FreeNX might be integrated with some effort. I used a SOHO firewall router instead of Karoshi's, one less server dependency (I didn't need full integration).

What I see now on the workstation side is a mature high-end video editing & music editing suite that is largely based in Linux. Because of Hollywood studio involvement, Linux has been on par in high-end video editing. And both RoseGarden and Ardour have come a long way in the past few years as well, so those are covered in the multimedia lab, making Linux workstations fully feature-for-feature competitive against Windows or Mac media labs. Coupled with CinePaint (formerly FilmGIMP), Jahshaka, Blender, Synfig, OpenFX & this is equivalent to a media lab equivalentof Macintoshes. It's harder for Linux to directly assault general-purpose office computing, but in the graphical high-end apps Linux is nearly par with Mac. A digital media lab full of Mac mini's actually gets expensive quickly due to necessary upgrades to the machines & software add-ons, far above the $500/seat MSRP for a Mac mini. But as Marilyn points out, there are setup barriers.

On the Office suite side, there's a "Killer App" compliation version of OpenOffice with all the add-ons, called "Oxygen Office" or Open Office Professional. But a fresh install of OOo is problematic due to set-up issues, so there're things to fix there as well....

There are lots of little side issues involved in getting this all working together requiring admin docu (how-to's) along with end-user documentation. So "documentation" applies to both the admin side (which could only be an advanced user, which the Karoshi suite targets) as well as the end-users - the teachers & students.

Which brings me back to the problem of scope. How would the community tackle all these little pieces and provide a consolidated approach?

/leebert