Re: [school-discuss] FLOSS Evangelism Through Volunteer Work

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Joel Kahn <jj2kk4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now to the main topic. As usual, my restless mind has been popping out
crazy ideas for new (?) ways to publicize FLOSS. I've noted that both the
Make-A-Wish Foundation (helping children with life-threatening medical
conditions) and the Ronald McDonald Houses (assisting families with a
member who is hospitalized) are constantly looking for volunteers who
possess significant skills related to technology.
Was thinking it might be interesting to help out our local parks and let people know about FLOSS.  The parks in our area regularly have events that are open to the public.  This year at some of the events they were giving out thank you gifts if you made donations.  Thought it would be an interesting idea if they gave out CD or DVDs with FLOSS software and Creative Commons/Public Domain media as a thank you gift instead of what they were giving.  It would be easy enough to put together a disk with some FLOSS viewers and some public domain media such as bird watching information.  Everyone was talking about Photoshop at one park event when they were discussing nature photography.  One could put Gimp, mtpaint, rawtherapee, hugin and imagemagick on the disk as well to give some free alternatives for photography editing.  Other software or documents/multimedia that tied into something related to the parks could be included too.  There could be one version of the disk with Windows programs and another version that's a live CD with a Linux distribution plus the park related software and information.  Was hoping to talk to our local Linux users group about the idea and see if we can get anything going, but haven't had the chance to go beyond just mentioning it to them.

Sincerely,
Laura