Subject: Re: [school-discuss] More Progress!
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:06:02 -0600
From: mike eschman <meschman@etc-edu.com>
To: schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net

hello,

in the school districts around us, the school board members, the teacher's
union and the school management come from a group with common financial
goals.

They run for office every couple of years, and have to raise 10s to 100s of
thousands of dollars.  they own small businesses that do business with
vendors that sell to the school system.

these relationships have a measurable impact on financial and political
policy.

 at least one school board manager, a former school board member and a former
principal and, possibly a coach - not sure about coach - is rumored to have
considered running for the parish (i.e. couinty) governing board, who have
reached time limit expirrations of term limits.

 an attempt to redistrict is under way with organized court based opposition.

these political, social and business ties absloutely define the totality of
the budgetary process for the public school system.  There are simply no
other considerations.  Period.

how would you describe your situation, in political, social and business
terms?

what other models are available?

has anyone tried to transition from our situation into something else?

with what result?

in my home parish, about half the kids go to private school and half go to
public school.  the teacher's union is headed by a former principal with a
strong school board affiliation on other levels?  they share some common
interest.  this union has had to become increasingly agressive and opposing
as budgets have come into flux.

four your info, we won a bid and never executed because, well, who knows.

mike eschman, etc ...
http://www.etc-edu.com
"Not just an afterthought ...