Re: [school-discuss] Re: LyX

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:09:11PM -0500, Randy Edwards wrote:
> I don't mean to be too snobbish or to start a distro war, but I
> have to comment on this thread.

Ugh.  OK :-)

> Wouldn't it be worth it to install apt-get (or is it called
> apt-rpm?) for Red Hat?  It's available, and it's simpler to
> install than the troubles you're going through now.

Frankly, Fedora's getting exactly through the troubles with the
former RHL package base that we had some three years ago with
Mandrake's.  And seems it will take some year or two to down the
dust.

> This is what I'd do to install LyX the hard way (from the
> command line) on Debian: [~] # apt-get install lyx

Well if the audience forgives me, I'd allow myself for some ads
regarding ALT Linux which isn't Debian-based but shares quite a
few ideas and tools, and even [feeds] a few developers.

The above example (apt-get install lyx) works just as well, and
I'd recommend to try out ALT if somebody isn't in favor of Debian
(which is indeed stronger package-wise/arch-wise).  It's quite
reasonable balance of usability, features and security.

In fact, ALT Linux is making progress into Russia's education,
and so it may be an interesting project to use (and get involved
in, if you wish).  We're considering "edu" branch, too.

Information here:

http://altlinux.com