[Fwd: Re: [school-discuss] Comment on current edu apps]

-------- Original Message --------

From: "Kyle Hutson" <smyle@rockcreek.k12.ks.us>
To: Matt Jezorek <matt@bluelinux.org>,
	schoolforge-discuss@schoolforge.net

On 23 Jan 2002 at 15:36, Matt Jezorek wrote:
> I am working on packaging applications for the Teacher and Student
> add-ons to BlueEDU. I have a comment that I noticed.
>
> It seems that most EDU Apps are web based, we need more apps that are
> not web based.

I agree with Michael Williams (I think...)

Web-based is GOOD iff it is more-or-less guaranteed to be there and
it doesn't slurp lotsa bandwidth.  The interoperability amongst
platforms with web-based apps is fantastic (still have that old copy
of Be around?  great.  Amiga?  No problem.).

The best of both worlds is when you can setup your own web-based app
locally, so YOU control the data (and with no advertising, etc.), but
you still have all the advantages listed above.  I'm thinking of
something like PowerSchool (and OpenSIS, as it matures - Go Ben!) -
where you setup your own server, and then anybody can get to it.

--
Kyle Hutson /  Director of Technology  / Rock Creek Schools:  USD323
smyle@rockcreek.k12.ks.us                               785-494-8591