Re: [school-discuss] Help!

You didn't mention anything specific about the two proposed pieces of software, so I'm wondering if you can just substitute the MS-SQL backend for an opensource sql server (ala MySQL). If the front-end products are just speaking SQL or ODBC, this should be possible and would save a small fortune. If you can find out what kind of queries the frontends generate, you can check to see if they're supported at the MySQL website (there's very little MS-SQL supports that MySQL does not). Even if you go with these products, I think I'd at least give it a try before buying copies/licenses for MS-SQL Server.

Good luck!
Jake

ptietjens wrote:

Anyone out there using commercial open source (free as in free speech) software in their administrative functions?

Specifically, I've just been told that after a year of deciding to ditch M$, our district will be purchasing two (two!) major pieces of software running with M$ SQL backends; financial and student management programs.

I'd take DB2, Oracle, whatever! At this point, I'm not even concerned about open source (though that would solve some of the headaches we've had with our existing apps for these purpsoses) as long as it isn't Microsoft!