Re: [school-discuss] a list of necessary topics for college intro to IT

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM, J. Tim Denny <johndenny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://www.openicdl.org.za/

For the sake of others reading this thread, I should note that, while
the ICDL and the localized ECDL (European) seems to still be current,
the OpenICDL website was last updated in 2005, and most of the links
are dead. I have sent email to the Asia division of the ECDL
organization that is HQ'd in Singapore.

The ICDL seems to be strongest in Europe, from what I can see. I
wonder how it is used in the US and Australia?

Japanese administrations (private or public education or government)
tend to prefer overwhelmingly-influencial US-based or Japan-only
home-grown standards and certifications, and this is another reason
that open source has not come as far here yet. Japanese institutions
feel more secure by buying into a really large organization like
Microsoft.

Japan has a relatively-new IT general knowledge certificate and
numerous business computing certificates sponsored by boards of
commerce and such, but I will have to research whether there is
something similar to the stratified certificates of the Philippines.

--
Micheal Cooper
Miyazaki, Japan (GMT+9, no DST)