Re: [school-discuss] CMS input requested..

I'm trying to evaluate CMS for a few applications.

The first being a simpler more inclusive way a managing a small community web
site.  Second a more inclusive adaptable way of managing some of the
education based sites I manage.

I have tried drupal - it appears to have a large number of features, wide use,
which assumes it is stalbe and reliable.

BUT - the documentation is very fragmented.

For example.  For the community web I wanted to set up a simple menu
structure, linking to  10 or so different "pages" and provide other
registered users the ability to change and add content to select pages.  This
is what drupal is supposed to excel at, but after more than a week of reading
the online documentation and playing around I wasn't able to figure how to do
this.   I decided to look at other solutions simply because I was running out
of time.

If anyone has examples of very good documentation outside of the drupal site
please let us know.  I am aware that there are a couple of books out.  I may
be have to purchase a book - but that really goes against the spirit.

Joomla looks easier to manage than drupal.  Joomla requires that any content
updated/submitted be first aproved by an "administrator/publisher" and the
location of the content is determined by the administrator/publisher.  There
appears to be a very good third party community building module available for
joomla - it can be installed at no cost - but there is a fee for its
documentation, which really limits what can be done with it, unless one has
vast amounts of free time.

I'm playing with tikiwiki and twiki now.  Twiki is interesting in that it does
not use a database, uses perl and rcs.  Its focus is more of a collaboration
tool than a cms.

The biggest issue I've come across is that lots of CMS solutions while they
may be very sophisticated and have extensive capabilites, most have very poor
documentation.   This makes it difficult to take advantage of the features.

I have had a very difficult time finding a CMS with adequate documentation.  I
would recommend trying any of them out in a non-critical situation before
committing to any particular cms.

Gord

--
Gordon J. Holtslander	/	Dept of Biology