Re: [school-discuss] This could work...

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 05:38:56PM -0400, Doug Loss wrote:
> That's not really as big a problem as you think.  Cellular
> modems that attach to ethernet are pretty common in the
> transportation industry.  Big trucking firms use them along
> with GPS receivers to keep track of their deliveries.

I've recently hooked up CCU-550 3G modem over USB and it
Just Worked (TM).

Not everything USB is inherently evil, there are provisions for
generalization of device class drivers in the standard (although
with a fair overall share of brain damage, according to our
kernel hacker).

> > Yes, the issue I see is getting the Internet connection
> > through the USB instead of the NIC RJ-45.  Most cell phone
> > providers that do this have a special set of windows drivers
> > so the PC can talk through the USB to the phone and thence to
> > the network.

Hey, it'd usually just show up as /dev/ttyACM0 or the likes.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>