Re: [school-discuss] OLPC Trouble

Yabbut you're the parent and not likely to be the target of lawsuits, whereas schools have to adhere to the CIPA (Children's Internet Protection Act) regulations. I agree that there are lots of other risks, some of which are more dangerous, but in the case of porn there are laws that schools must obey.

When we were still fighting against the Linux antagonists in APS, one thing they tried to use against the system was that it was not safe. They even tried to access sites like whitehouse.com in our lab. Luckily, we not only had a filtering solution in place, but as I recently posted, it actually blocked bad sites that the district's proprietary solution allowed and also blocked attempts to use Google as a proxy (go to Google, ask it to translate a web page like playboy.com from english to english, and it comes back with a Google URL, not playboy.com). High school students across the US figured that one out pretty quickly as a way to bypass school URL blocking programs.

I recommend to all on this list that filtering solutions be included in any K12LTSP installations based on our experiences. We have enough trouble convincing schools to try the system out as it is.

Daniel

Yishay Mor wrote:
I have two young kids at home. They both use both our computers independently, mostly for internet access. I would never consider installing any filter on any system I own or manage. In fact, the off-handed discussion of filters on this list surprises me. For me, any case of person A deciding what person B should or should not browse is a violation of human rights.

The other aspect which surprises me is the ease in which we get carried along with the 'porn threat' discourse. I can easily name quite a few more serious internet 'risks', such as racial bullying, homophobic hate, sexist comments on Digg, Fox news, big brother, and Mac (not to mention McDonnalds) ads.

- Yishay