Re: [school-discuss] OLPC Trouble

Daniel,

You're absolutely right. I'm in the privileged situation of not having to deal with all these 'boring details'. But for the sake of discussion (and this does not in any way mean to belittle the issues you're dealing with), I argue that we have deeper worries than the OS our kids use or the hacks they need to learn to access nudity (and I'm sure that an intelligent kid will always find a way).

- If we don't trust our children (to judge the material they find on the web), and we don't trust their teachers (to guide them), what kind of education are we giving them?
- Sex is taboo but violence, corruption, consumerism, and prejudice are fine? (all these are found plentifully in mainstream media)
- Why are we promoting free and open software but conforming to restrictions on free and open content?

Again, I realize that at the pragmatic level these questions are a bit academic. Still, I think a forum like this allows us to occasionally go a bit further.

cheers,

- Yishay