Re: [school-discuss] OLPC Trouble

Again, it's the law, we have to conform to it if our solution is to be viable.

Your comment about consumerism got me thinking, and look what I found about the OLPC:

"Hot on the heels of growing momentum signaled by Intel pledging support to the humanitarian One Laptop Per Child initiative, a coalition of software and service providers have banded together to propose a new group aimed at the burgeoning computer platform. By exposing these first-time computer users to offers preloaded onto the device's nominal internal flash memory, the members of Ten Craplets Per Child propose to significantly lower the cost of the One Laptop Per Child device."

"Only a nefarious cretin would go to the trouble of writing a virus for a device designed for children living in some of the most difficult conditions on the planet," said Russ Vai, vice president of viral marketing at security software company Parannoyer, "So we expect a whole raft of malware to be available within weeks of the OLPC device being distributed throughout an economy."

Daniel

Yishay Mor wrote:
Daniel,

You're absolutely right. I'm in the privileged situation of not having to deal with all these 'boring details'. But for the sake of discussion (and this does not in any way mean to belittle the issues you're dealing with), I argue that we have deeper worries than the OS our kids use or the hacks they need to learn to access nudity (and I'm sure that an intelligent kid will always find a way).

- If we don't trust our children (to judge the material they find on the web), and we don't trust their teachers (to guide them), what kind of education are we giving them? - Sex is taboo but violence, corruption, consumerism, and prejudice are fine? (all these are found plentifully in mainstream media) - Why are we promoting free and open software but conforming to restrictions on free and open content?

--
Daniel Howard
President and CEO