Re: [school-discuss] Recommendations for NECC presentation

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:16:38 -0400
Doug Loss <drloss@suscom.net> wrote:

      As most of you know, I'll be going to NECC (the National Educational
      Computing Conference) in Seattle at the end of the month with Harry
      McGregor of OSEF and Paul Nelson of K12OS.  I'll be representing both
      SEUL/edu and Schoolforge as a whole (both Harry and Paul will also
      represent Schoolforge in addition to their own groups).  I have a
      presentation to give on July 2 (the last day of the conference) about
      Linux software in education.  I'd like to demonstrate both a courseware
      application and an administrative application.  For the courseware one,
      it seems obvious to use GCompris, since it just won a prize and is
      included on the Freeduc bootable CD.  For the administrative one, I'd
      like to get some suggestions.

Beware the GCompris version in the freeduc-cd 1.3 has some problem with
refresh drawing. It is due to a bug in Gnome Canvas 2.x. I think this
bugs has been fixed since now. However GCompris is perfectly usable but
I just want to tell you before your discover some odd redrawing by yourself.

Another application you may want to show is WIMS. Wims is a server of
mathematic exercices but in fact it is much more than that because it
can be used in sort of distance learning. With Wims a teacher can
prepare work sheet for the students, the sheet is prepared with
exercices coming from a common database of exercices. Then the student
just need to use a browser to use WIMS and connect to their virtual
classroom. Of course, WIMS record the sucess and failure to the
exercices.  Also teacher can create new exercices, their is a dedicated
langage for that. WIMS can be used from primary up to the university. It
may ask you some time to prepare a speach on that software, it has a lot
of possibilities.

Regards,

Hilaire Fernandes