Re: [school-discuss] Boy Scouts embrace Open Source

> On first glance, there's loads of stuff the Boy Scouts could use Open
> Source for their merit badges, fund raising, etc.  Seems like we should
> contact them to see how we can help...I know someone here in Atlanta
> that may have a contact, but if anyone else has a contact for the
> national level, let me know.  I'm currently exploring working with a
> local Atlanta Boys and Girls club person to set up K12LTSP in several
> clubs here in Atlanta, seems like a good start.

Great idea. If it were me I'd be looking for older boys. When I was a scout
the high school age were called Explorers. These days, those are probably a
rare breed, but if they are still around my guess is that they could
accomplish more. What I *really* like is to set things up so that older
kids teach younger kids. Best way to learn.

Here is what I wrote about the BSA project on the Brainstorms mailing list:

> To: "Open Slate Brainstorms" <openslate-brainstorms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> From: "Gary Dunn" <knowtree@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Openslate-brainstorms] BSA Fosters FOSS
> Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 13:12 -1000
> -----
> The Boy Scouts of America have chosen to support Free and Open-Source
Software, in

(<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9095238>)
> I can't help noticing how much it sounds like Chalk Dust. Even the part
about having been
> open for six months and still no takers. I know just how that feels!
anyway, I wish them
> all the best.
>
> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> knowtree@xxxxxxxxx
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Here is a comment I posted to the Computerworld story:

> This decision by BSA represents the kind of outreach the FOSS community
needs to foster. We all
> know that FOSS is great. We all know that Microsoft wants FOSS dead. But
"we" are a very small
> percentage of the population. We cannot sit back and wait to be found. We
need to partner with
> other groups and to get them to realize the potential of their ideas.
They don't have to wait
>for some commercial vendor to create what they want. DIY. FOSS allows that
to happen.

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
Open Slate Project
    http://openslate.net/
73 BMW E9 (3.0 CS) 2213583 (rust repair research project)
    http://e9erust.blogspot.com/