Re: [school-discuss] GNU/Linux issue, please bury

On Monday 06 May 2002 19:11, Dennis Heuer wrote:

I agree with the rest of your post, but not this par:

> Second, you shouldn't discuss this here but in the FSF mailinglist--or,
> if you can't suppress it, at slashdot.

The FSF aren't making the announcement. This (and seul-edu) are the only fora
in which changes to the announcement can be appropriately discussed with any
hope of influencing the outcome. IMHO that amounts to the whole point of
having freedom of speech in the first place.

Reiterating my view on GNU/Linux: the headline is not the place for it.

The rest of the article discusses open source a lot, which is good. I would
rather discuss GPL, since IMESHO the GPL licence is truly open source, BSD
etc are essentially giftware and so not guaranteed to *remain* open or even
be acknowledged (Microsoft demonstrated that, only their very recent products
give anything like a wholehearted acknowledgement of their contributors). BSD
is still *much* better than proprietary, and in a limited range of
circumstances it's more appropriate than GPL. It's also important to make the
point that the GPL is the *only* licencing scheme which seems to offend a
certain convicted illegal monopolist.

GPL, however, is not _yet_ a good buzzword to use in general press releases.
The purpose of a release is to attract attention, not to hammer every
theological point out flat. Once that attention has been attracted, it can
then be more closely steered. Even then, the GNU/Linux issue is something
that should be introduced gently, not rammed down people's throats or used as
a test of faith. God forbid that we should follow in the footprints of the
Inquisition, even in principle.

I personally use the term Linux+GNU since it more accurately conveys what's
going on. Debian are getting set to distribute a FreeBSD with a GNU toolset.
Is the term GNU/FreeBSD appropariate there, or confusing?

I hope this is sufficient to show the naysayers why I'm not _yet_ interested
in highlighting the term for a press release.

Cheers; Leon