Re: [school-discuss] Britannica

Ben Armstrong wrote:

> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 09:38:50AM -0400, Jim Thomas wrote:
> > I can see no problem with writing an open-source EB reader.  It would
> > really be no different from QGeo which will render content from the
> > National Geographic CDs.  The only way EB could "pull the plug" would be
> > to change the format of the content, and they certainly wouldn't do that
> > to kill linux support for their product.  It's in their best interest to
> > have a linux-enabled app to read their content.  Having an open source
> > reader does not require free content.
>
> That's quite a different kettle of fish.  I'd have no objections
> contributing to an open source project to develop a reader that just happens
> to also read non-free content.

This is what I'm trying to promote.  I don't particularly care who develops (or
how they do it) an application that allows EB, WB, Grolier, or any other
encyclopedia CDs to be read.  I just know that something like this needs to be
available for Linux for it to be more easily selectable for school use.