Re: [school-discuss] Passwords for kids?

Karsten,

Gee, why compound your problem with passwords and logging on??  Why not just
have a shared drive out on the server and be done with it.

If you must have separate directories for each kid then just make the
directories and let them click into their own directory when they save
something to the public drive.

I can't imagine you creating all of the separate user accounts under WXP on
each machine much less trying to manage all of this on the server.  If you
are not dealing in national secrets and the formula for the next solid rocket
booster then keep things simple and be done with it.  A single shared drive
amoung the students would suffice.  You can give another login for teachers
that has a private teachers section.

We run about 100 PC's in a K-8 school and have a single login for ALL kids
computers.  They get a map to the shared kids drive and each class has their
own direcotry on the shared drive to store stuff it.  If the kids store it
elsewhere then they have to go find it.  It happens once and after that
everything seems to get stored in the right place.

Things are complicated enough w 540 students, 100 PC's, and everything else,
we try to keep things as simple and as unrestrictive as possible.

Good luck, it seems you will need it to get your lower grade students logged
in properly.

Hey, have I mentioned the lunch money hassle??  They proposed a system where
each student would have a secret password to type in when they got their
lunch so the charge for the lunch would go against their account.  Try
getting a line of hungry K or 1st or 2nd graders through the line with that
system.  NOT!!!!!  Don't get me started....

stew