Re: [school-discuss] Passwords for kids?

On Sat, 2004-05-15 at 18:09, Karsten M. Self wrote:
[snip]
> But for a fair number of 'em, particulary the younger set, and a few
> others with learning disabilities, remembering passwords seems to be
> beyond the possible.  Anyone have experience with setting up accounts
> for kids?
>
> Primary login is WinXP.  Even here, the three-field login (username,
> pass, logon target (workstation/domain) is confusing.

I suppose you could go for a biometric solution, since your users would
never have to memorize or remember to bring their fingerprints (the
fingerprints should be able to serve as both login and password; don't
know about logon target).  However, my knowledge of biometric security
is limited to an article done by PC Magazine several years ago in which
they tested various biometric devices on a Win98 box.  And I would
*never* recommend biometric security for an inherently-insecure OS such
as Win98!

For obvious reasons, I would try to find better information before
implementing any kind of biometrics in your youth center.  The cost may
also be prohibitive; I don't know what such devices costs now.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

186,282 miles per second:
	It isn't just a good idea, it's the law!