[school-discuss] Re: Remote GUI access (was Re: Emulation via Windows)

on Tue, May 31, 2005 at 03:54:32PM +0200, Jimmy Pierre (jpierre@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Thanks a million to all for replying to my posting. I spent the last 24
> hours testing your solutions and as I ma not a Linux GURU, I settled for
> Xming.
>
> The server is on line cisware.tzo.com and the username : student and the
> password: student123

You *really* don't want to do that.

X is suitable for running among systems in a trusted lab, if there's no
critical data on 'em.  Opening up a system to random, unsecured,
over-the-Net access, full interactive access is a really bad idea.

> Please give it a try and let me know if how it goes... I might need to open
> some ports on the firewall...

Um.  I'd strongly recommend *closing* 5900 - 6099.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>        http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
    18.8% of all browsers that claim to be MSIE, aren't.