Re: [school-discuss] Possible lead on open source

> textbook as an alternative to costly hardback books. Does anyone have
> info about whether major k-12 publishers are offering their products
> in the electronic format? We are currently accessing on-line course
> ware in some high school subjects. Otherwise, we are spending huge
> sums of public funds on hard copies that become quickly obsolete and
> worn.

November 2002's Dr. Dobb's Journal's Editorial talks about textbook
publishing. The editorial says that Texas is moving to web-based material.
(It doesn't mention specific publishers for this though.) The article
indicates it will cost the same (for the schools) so publishers' profit
margins will go up.

The article also says Texas will spend $344.7 million in instructional
material over the next selection cycle.

It would be worth while for schools districts or state boards of education
to fund the development of open content textbooks and open content
instructional materials. (Need a new book? Regenerate a brand-new PDF or
webpages for student. Or district print shops could cheaply print chapters
as needed, for example)

I am helping organize an open content development of a Washington state
history and civics textbook. Some school districts in Washington may spend
over $25,000 for a textbook and then keep it for several years. As we
know, free and "open source" textbooks can save a lot of money.

(If anyone is interested in helping with the open content development of a
Washington state history and civics textbook, please email me off-list.)

   Jeremy C. Reed

   http://www.isp-faq.com/