Re: [school-discuss] Project developing free school server solution

Am Freitag, 17. Oktober 2003 22:37 schrieb Hilaire Fernandes:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:54:49 +0200
> Bjoern Scheuermann <bjoern@solution.de> wrote:
>
>       So what we'd really like to know is the following:
>
>       Is there any interest in a solution like this outside Germany?
>
>       Is it worth the additional effort to make this "international"?
>
>       And -- maybe the most important question -- are there people outta
> there (in Germany or anywhere else) willing to put a little work into this?
> For example helping us to stay "compatible" to other countries' school
> systems and specific requirements during the planning phase, to translate
> documentation and user interfaces, and maybe even to really participate and
> do some planning/programming/maintenance?
>

> I am sure you know about the Skolelinux project, kicking and alive at
> http://www.skolelinux.no

Thanks for the hint!

Yes, we know about this project. And at the moment we're trying to get contact
to the skolelinux people as well. But - as I've mentioned before - we want to
go one step further.

What we're especially missing are the really "school-specific" features in
skolelinux, like an advanced user management which is aware of "students" and
"teachers", of teachers being allowed to permit and deny things, of students
being in "classes" and "workgroups", of classes changing every year (without
having a local administrator to spend a whole day for this procedure), tools
to support writing tests at the computer, etc. This is what we want to do.

And, additionally, we want to avoid to force the user to use a Linux shell or
to edit config files, even to know how a Linux box works or which software is
used and what it does. Unfortunately, skolelinux requires exactly this nearly
everywhere.

In fact, we're discussing skolelinux as a basis for our system.

Bjoern