Re: [school-discuss] Philosophy: Teachers with Admin Privileges or Not

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 05:53:47PM -0700, Justin wrote:
> Applications such as Xen or VMWare will someday allow creating
> a sandbox environment very simple and straightforward.  Enough
> that there could be system images available for different types
> of experimentation (server, workstation, etc.)

Hey, we do it for a *year* on quite common hardware :)
No need to feed xen/vmware if you're going to do linux/linux,
not anything/{linux,windows}.  OpenVZ is very lightweight.

> Could this lead to a possible change in what the administrator
> & teacher roles are in IT?

Well, reasonable privilege and authorization separation is always
better than unreasonable; currently the most common form observed
by me isn't exactly reasonable -- many times admins would do what
could be better offloaded to those who actually understand what
they need and have some technical competence as well but would be
reluctant to take all burden of accountability for systems.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 ----       Oct 26--27, Kiev, Ukraine: