[school-discuss] SchoolForge direction

 On 10/12/2010 02:18 PM, Daniel Howard wrote:
Pardon the top post for quick summary: Thanks Mike for an awesomely detailed response, I've already learned a lot and plan to learn more on 2nd and 3rd read of this...

Justin, any thoughts about updating our tables of recommended configurations using all the excellent info below and in other recent posts on this thread? Daniel

Daniel & all -

Unfortunately I haven't had a lot of time to stay on top of the website for awhile, and I feel like it's starting to hold things back. It's probably time to move the SchoolForge website off of my plate and to find leadership that can take things to the next level. The community has been very inspiring and I have unmeasurable regard for both the community and the ideals (however loosely applied) provided in the SchoolForge operating procedures. http://www.schoolforge.net/operating-procedures

It was studying the procedures intensely, and understanding what the goal was that lead to designing the site the way it was. I also just worked with the resources that were available and tried to centralize and update (Les Richardson's case studies, software index..) I would say that SchoolForge.net is probably one of the most visible and best positioned websites in the sphere of Education software - according to Google. Searches for 'education software', 'open source education', 'education case studies' regularly bring in many new visitors to our website and I'm happy to say that a lot of those visitors end up reading about the software projects. SchoolForge.net, in the last 30 days (according to google analytics,) has had 18,530 visits and over 60,000 pageviews.

That is really incredible, and if you figure each user spends 3 minutes plus in their visit, thats a lot of time spent showing users how FLOSS can fit their needs!! So I propose that SchoolForge.net is positioned to be the education software industry, and we should evaluate how to move forward as a community. I'm actively exploring avenues that may be brought to the community for discussion as well. If one of these avenues seems likely, you'll hear more.

I'd invite the community to share efforts & updates with their individual projects and where they are participating. The diversity of efforts members are working on is pretty great actually. I identified the software developers & projects as the stakeholders, but think that certainly (and unfortunately) does not reflect a big part of this community.

Thanks,

Justin